I was honoured to be appointed Deputy Mayor at the start of this term, and I am completely committed to fulfilling the duties and obligations of that role. As Deputy Mayor, I will oversee the operations of the Office of the Mayor from ’ll be Deputy Mayor overseeing the office of the Mayor Mayor John Tory’s resignation is formally effective until a new mayor is elected.

My focus at this time is ensuring a smooth transition and continued good governance. I will not be seeking to run for mayor in the upcoming by-election. Representing the residents of my ward and ensuring a smooth, stable transition until a new mayor is elected requires my full attention. I appreciate every resident who has reached out asking if I would run – my love for representing them and for my role are why I won’t be moving forward with a campaign for mayor.

I sincerely appreciate the ongoing collaboration of my council colleagues and hardworking city staff who continue to demonstrate the utmost professionalism running our city services.

2023 City of Toronto Budget

In February, City Council passed the 2023 City Budget. The budget includes a residential tax increase of 5.5 per cent, as well as an increase to the City Building Levy of 1.5 per cent, for a total of 7 per cent, resulting in an additional $183 per average household.

This budget is focused on maintaining front-line services while making key investments in housing, community safety and climate.

Local Investments

Many residents have advocated for better dog parks in our ward. The Colonel Danforth Dog Park will be improved in 2023. Community engagement and design will also take place this year for a new dog off-leash area at Bob Hunter Park in 2024. If you would like us to send you the community survey when it opens, please let my office know.

The playgrounds at Wanita Park and Bill Hancox Park will both be improved this year. The proposed improvements include accessible play equipment.

Community Safety

The proposed budget invests in all aspects of community safety, including police, mental health and crisis response.

An additional $48 million is proposed for Toronto Police Services for 162 officers for priority response, 22 officers for case management and 16 neighbourhood officers. Funding is also included for 50 new TTC Special Constables and 10 additional Streets to Homes outreach workers on the TTC. The budget includes funding to hire up to 250 paramedics and 200 firefighters in 2023.

We are investing $17 million in funding for the Community Crisis Response Program, which sends crisis supports to communities in the aftermath of violence, and funding for the Toronto Community Crisis Service (TCCS). The TCCS is a new, alternate approach to responding to someone in crisis that focuses on health, prevention and well-being. In Scarborough, TAIBU is the community partner for this pilot program. I would like to thank them for the important work they have done since the onset of this service.

Climate Action and Greenspaces

This budget invests $2 billion in climate action towards our ambitious goal of net zero by 2040. We’re decreasing greenhouse gas emissions in the building, transportation and waste sectors. We’re also investing in climate resilience through the wet weather flow master plan.

Our ravines sequester carbon, protect us from flooding and contribute to the physical and mental well-being of residents. The 2023 budget includes $2.9M for invasive species removal, litter cleanup, student internships and community engagement. Locally, funding is included for repairs to the Waterfront Trail between Highland Creek and Beechgrove.

In January, I joined ministers from the federal government to announce new funding for projects that will protect and expand greenspaces in Ontario. This included $1.05 million for expanding our ecological corridor in Rouge National Urban Park by improving connection to the Meadoway. Thanks to MP Gary Anandasangaree for this funding and supporting our community.

For assistance with municipal issues, email councillor_mckelvie@toronto.ca. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @McKelvieTO.