Councillor Jennifer McKelvie

Ward 25 constituency office open at Civic Centre

In January, I joined with the local Tamil community at several community receptions to celebrate Thai Pongal and Tamil Heritage Month. Thai Pongal, a harvest festival dedicated to the Sun God, is one of the most important festivals celebrated by Tamil people. The most memorable event was interacting with local community members on January 16 at Mayor John Tory’s annual Thai Pongal Reception at Scarborough Civic Centre.

The new year also celebrated the opening of a full-time Ward 25 Constituency Office at Scarborough Civic Centre. Located on the second floor, my Constituency Relations team is available Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The building is transit friendly for all Ward 25 residents, and free parking is available for constituents with a pre-booked appointment. To book an appointment please call 416-338-3771 or email us at As needed and to ensure I remain accessible, I am also happy to meet with residents at their homes or local community centres.

I want to draw your attention to 311 Toronto. This simple, three-digit phone number, connects you to customer service representatives 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  You can call 311 or visit to obtain information about City of Toronto services or programs or to make a service request. Using 311 you can:

  • Report winter issues for icy city sidewalks, bus stops and walkways;
  • Report snow blocked driveways, snow piled too high and snow plow damage;
  • Report garbage, oversized item, recycling, green bin or yard waste not picked up;
  • Request pickup of household hazardous waste;
  • Order, exchange or report damage to a city-issued green, garbage or recycling bin;
  • Report graffiti or litter;
  • Report potholes, road and sidewalk damage;
  • Address water-related issues, including requests to turn off water to your property;
  • Request dead animal pickup or city tree planting/pruning;
  • Report issues involving private property misuse or property standards, including lack of maintenance.

311 can offer assistance in more than 180 languages. When contacting 311, please obtain your reference number. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome, you are always welcome to contact my Constituency Office and we can look into escalating the file.

Finally, if you believe you have been treated unfairly in your dealings with the city or are unsatisfied with how city staff handled your problem, another alternative is Ombudsman Toronto. This independent office investigates complaints about unfairness in delivery of City of Toronto services after efforts to resolve the issue have failed. The office’s services are confidential, free and for everyone. For more information on how to make a complaint, or call 416-392-7062.

I’d like to congratulate CCRA, other local community associations, and the volunteer organizing committee for another great Port Union Winterfest. Our team enjoyed speaking with local residents at our booth as we served hot apple cider.